Friday, August 22, 2008

Functional Exercise

I’m in the process of writing a series of short books on undulation: 5 Undulation Exercises for Low Back Pain, 5 Undulation Exercises for Computer Users, Undulations on the Ball, etc. After that my next book will be about the daily activities that are necessary to keep strength and balance as we get older.

I developed this list after I taught a class at a retirement community and learned than many seniors aren’t able to get on the floor. Actually, they can get down, but have such trouble getting up that they stop using the full capacity of their legs and then start a downward spiral of weakness.

So here are my 7 Things You Need to Do Every Day to Stay Active Longer. (I intend to find a shorter title before it’s finished.)

1) Avoid injury by avoiding painful movements
2) Breathe consciously and fully
3) Explore the range of motion of all joints
4) Squat to develop the big muscles of the legs, thighs, and hips
5) Stand on one leg (one, then the other) to build hip stabilizer strength
6) Add variety to your movements with undulations or other new activities
7) Hug somebody

By the way, I'm teaching a class at the Issaquah Senior Center on Tuesday mornings that incorporates these exercises.

No comments: