Friday, August 15, 2008

Learn from Olympic Rowers

About a year ago, my right shoulder froze (see http://undulationexercise.blogspot.com/2007/07/frozen-shoulder.html). Now, my left shoulder is restricted in movement, because I repeatedly took it beyond its range of motion when practicing a dance last week. I’ve also been watching the Olympics; the rowers remind me of good shoulder body mechanics.



1) Each stroke of the arm starts in the feet.
2) The motion connects fluidly from foot, through leg, through torso, then the shoulder and arms carry through.
3) The entire body is engaged, not just the arms

You don’t have to be an Olympic rower to benefit from using your arms this way. Stay connected through your core to your feet when lifting a heavy bag of groceries or opening a heavy door to prevent injuries and gain strength.

No comments: